Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Parent Teacher Conference

I was really scared for Parent Teacher Conference--scared of bad news, no hope for his future, and him not improving.  But boy was I wrong!  Even though his improvements weren't huge--I am just so so grateful he is making progress.  He was able to recognize more alphabet letters & at least trace his name among some of his new skills learned at preschool.
He has a hard time sharing and playing with the other boys--but I hope over time that only gets better.  I need to try harder doing play dates for my kids...
It was SO nice talking to his speech therapist, as she told me her girl is on the spectrum and is in her 20's & has a job and a life.  It gives me hope, she said her daughter needs more support compared to the rest of her kids--but I am SO okay with that.  I am OK with things taking longer.  I know I need to learn patience & be happy with the little progress he makes & be grateful he makes progress.  Because some kids don't & his trial could be a lot worse.  I am so glad he can run, jump, and climb!
And me being worried about sending him to school--because he can't tell me what happens about his day is not a problem with his preschool.  He is in good hands.  I felt the love his teacher has for him & that made my day.  Thanks to those who work with our little ones & love them for who they are.


I wanted to share a little bit about our Christmas.  Every year since he was 2--I would think, "this is the year he will know who Santa is & what Santa brings & what Christmas Eve means." (As in Christmas Eve means gifts will come the next morning!)  But no he didn't.  He has improved on that he know's wrapped gifts means there is something special underneath and he is excited to open it.  I don't even have to say, "This gift is from Santa, or mark gifts a certain way, and this year I didn't even do stockings (I know that's the BEST part) but I didn't because it wasn't needed. 
So lets all cross our fingers that Eli will understand Christmas a little better this next time around.  Be a little excited Christmas Eve & can't sleep because he knows he gets gifts in the morning!! It'd be nice for him to tell me what he wants for Christmas & what his thoughts are on Santa..  But I wanted to share this- to help you understand where his understanding is & hope that as years go on he keeps progressing.  I will be letting you know :) 

I hope you are enjoying your Wednesday.  Parent Teacher Conference made my day & I wanted to share his little successes & the fact that improvement is better than no improvement. 

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment