Monday, May 27, 2013

"Love you"

I have wanted to post about this for about a month now--but just haven't. I love documenting Eli's progress & know that looking back on this will be enjoyable in the long run.

I don't remember if I've posted about how BADLY I have wanted Eli to tell me, "I love you."  In case I haven't--this is something that I wanted very badly!  For my boy to tell me he loves me--with words. Don't worry I already knew he did--with his super big, long, cuddly hugs---thank goodness. But I knew I'd be super excited when he said it with words!!

In the past, right before leaving his bedroom for bedtime I'd say, "Eli say I."  Then he'd say, "I." I'd say, "love." And you get the point--I'd force my boy to say, "I love you" one word at a time with me encouraging each word! Ha ha--I am ridiculous. I just hoped one day it'd catch on. And trust me I've been doing this for WELL over a year.

So about a month ago, the first time he said it--I wasn't quite sure I heard him right. It was to his sister as he was leaving her room for her to go to bed. I may have said, "say I love you." And Eli said, "love you!" As he was walking out of her room. Because I wasn't sure I didn't make a big deal about it. Then the next morning as chad was walking out the door to leave to work, Eli says, "love you."  I was so excited--crying tears of joy!! Didn't matter that his first two times were directed to everyone else in the family but me--ha ha! But now he says it every night. I no longer have to ask him to say it. As I'm walking out and say, "I love you."  He replies, "love you."  Sweetest thing ever. And means the world to me. The other night as Chad finished putting him to bed--chad comes over and says, "you know it's not easy for Eli to say that."  As in Eli has to put a lot of thought into it & concentrate. And it's so true--with everything he is learning he has to put forward SO much effort & nothing in the learning category comes easy for him.  


I love that little boy & am so grateful for him putting those two words together for me. I hope he keeps trying to progress & puts forth the effort to learn new things and grow in ways that are hard for him.

I love you Eli!

We can all do hard things.  I need to try harder to do harder things :) Hope you all enjoyed your Memorial weekend.

With love,
Katie

P.S. I want to be posting soon about what we decided to do for Eli next year--its not Freedom Elementary any more!  I will post soon about our decision without putting it on FB.


No comments:

Post a Comment